Friday, 3 August 2012

Multi-Classing DCC Style: Half Levels


At least one of my players would like a multi-classing option, and I am inclined to be obliging, but the nature of the DCC RPG seems (to me) to preclude easy multi-classing. I certainly don't want a character to take one level of each class, and then get all of the resultant benefits! But, it has been pointed out to me that a character like Conan or Tarzan would be better modelled by allowing some form of multi-classing. Also, of course, there is the desire of some to play an Elf Wizard or a Halfling Warrior.

So, what I am planning on doing is this: I am going to write a half-level progression for all of the human classes. If you are a Halfling, and you want to be a Warrior, your first level only gains you the benefits of the half-level. Likewise, if you are a human Warrior and you want to practice thievery as well, you can take a half-level in Thief. After the half-level, you may use another advancement to gain the full 1st level benefits of the Thief class.

In other words, I am envisioning that one could have a third level character who was a Warrior 1/Cleric 1, who has 3 full Hit Dice, and who can then progress as either a Warrior or Cleric without further difficulties. A character two wished to have three classes would have to be 5th level before he was 1st level in all three classes.

I am not envisioning demi-human half levels, because the demi-human levels are the base and should come naturally. Also, the half-level fee would be paid before multi-classing into the demi-human class, as described above.  There will probably be limitations to classes allowed demi-humans as well, in order to better follow the Appendix N feel of DCC.  For example, no Elf Clerics!

If there is interest in this idea, I will write it up for Crawl!. It is certainly going to be playtested in my home campaign.

4 comments:

  1. I'm interested, and subscribe to Crawl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It kinda reminds me the 3.0 rule for Apprentice-Level Characters (a sort of reminiscence from AD&D Multi-classing System).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Count me as interested! I should be taking players through the funnel next weekend and I am sure that eventually some of them would be interested in multi-classing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am now planning to write this up for Crawl! If Crawl! is not interested, I'll still make it available for those who want it.

    ReplyDelete